5 Easy Steps to Getting the Most Out of Every Book!
One of the easiest ways to achieve success is to find a mentor to teach you the proper way to do something. While in prison you can do this by reading nonfiction books. Reading can greatly aid the success minded prisoner in achieving your objectives, no matter what those goals may be. Some of the greatest prisoners in history, men like Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela, have used this strategy profitably. But I was taught by my mentor, the late, great Zig Ziglar, there is an art to reading a book to get the most out of it. In my upcoming book, The Millionaire Prisoner, I share this system, but here is a free preview of how you can use the system to get the most from any book:
1. Read through the book quickly to get the gist of the message, underlining or highlighting the things that really “grab” you. Only stop to look up words that you do not know, or write them down to look them up later. This first reading allows you to become familiar with the book.
2. As you read the book the second time, keep a notebook of ideas generated by the book that you can personally use. The objective is not to see how quickly you can get out of the book, but what you can get out of the book.
3. In your third reading, invest time and patience in gleaning additional ideas you may have missed in your second reading. Carefully examine each chapter. Go over what you have highlighted or underlined. Put anything you missed in your notebook.
4. A fourth reading will enable the book to become an integral part of you, enhancing the effectiveness. At this reading, you can place the book in your collection, and it will be a treasure trove, ready and willing to supply you with any knowledge you may need.
5. Lastly, find other prisoners who have read the book, or share it with them, and then discuss it together to see what each of you got out of it. You may gain additional insights from their ideas and tho
There you have it, a simple system that has been used over the years and that has been proven to work. Try it out yourself, you’ll be amazed at the results. Until next time, may you be blessed on your journey to success.
Josh Kruger is the author of
The Millionaire Prisoner: How To Turn Prison Into A Stepping-Stone to Succe$$.
You can reach him at email@example.com